Wednesday, July 12, 2006

end of the world cup

The world cup finally ended. Before the final, I told myself that I would be equally happy either the French or the Italians won, yet I can not really describe my emotion to be joy. Was it because I, after all, favour the French more than the Italians? Was it because now at the beginning of the summer, me like the rest of 60 million French could not find a good reason to drink champagne and party all night long? Well, that, I believe the French will find a solution very quickly.

My real disappointment is that the final game was not so spectacular and what football has become today. I quote lines from a fellow blogger:

“People who don’t understand anything about football think the World Cup final is about 1 billion people watching 22 Frenchmen and Italians kicking a ball around. They’re wrong. It’s really about 1 billion people watching 22 Frenchmen and Italians, falling all over, getting penalties for non-existent fouls, grabbing their calves and performing spectacular dives which drama students worldwide could do well to study.”

· So is it more of a game of tactics of simulation of fouls and corners? Or is it a game of emotional harassment and psychological control?

· These past few days, all explanations people are trying to give to justify Zidane’s behaviour were just pathetic.

· The Italians deserve the champion, not for their performance in the final game, but the outstanding game they played against the Germans, with two goals within the final 5 minutes of over time.

· The Italians deserve the champion because they are good players and they just got rid of Berlusconi for all Europeans.

· So what about the French who played well against the Spanish and Brazilians?

· A pity that Argentina lost to the Germans, but in regard to that game, my friend who came to the bar with me that day is to be blamed. As a supporter for Argentina, he somehow changed positions in the middle of the game, because of a pretty blonde German girl sat next to him. Ever since he started flirting with the blonde German girl, Argentina started losing. This very person, who used to be my partner for tango lesson every Thursday night is officially fired!

· One player I really like is Cissé, but his injury was directly caused by a friendly match with the Chinese. And the Chinese, my country men will not make it to qualification even in another 20 years.

So here are all my regrets and shall we wait for the next world cup to resolve all of today’s regrets?