Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The tomato eating tortoise - Udaipur


Raj Palace, the first place I found in my guide book, I thought I would try my luck. After some very buppy 16 hours on the so called "high way", the Rickshaw ride seemed so nice and smooth.

15 mins later, I settled in a nice room with a view of the roof top of an indian family. 30 mins later, I was having my first meal in two days in the garden of Raj Palace.

Cross the table, I discovered a very interesting creature - a tortoise. With my limited knowledge of animals, I think it is a mountain tortoise. The owner said the tortoise has made home of Raj Palace since 3 years, and he only eats tomotos. I vaguely remembered from high school zoology that tortoises eat insects like mosquitos, but maybe they all become vegtarians and hindis in this country. To prove his point, the owner had one of the workers bring out some chopped tomato pieces, and he started eating them... wow, it is way too cool. a tomato eating tortoise!!!

or am I just ignorant !?