Tuesday, June 06, 2006

heLmet nOt?!

For some stupid reason, I accepted to race against a scooter with my cute little bike. However, if you have seen this scooter you will then believe that I might not be that stupid. A serious sports woman I am, I took my bike for a pre-race morning training. To test endurance and flexibility of my bike, I put some heavy load in the front basket. Right there in the middle of traffic, it broke completely: the basket, the front light, the break, everything. Terrible!

Midday, I walked into a bike shop in the 7th, nice shop keeper, chatty and eager. I realized a very strong and familiar accent, “so where are you from?” asked Ana. “Ah, Napolie!!! Italie, you know?” All of sudden I just see this image of my dear little bike getting a serious surgery, all parts removed and replaced with plastic body parts shipped directly from China. So much for my trust in Italians and especially Neapolitans. I felt bad, “Sir, I think I might just come back later tonight, because I have to go back to work now”. I pushed my bike quickly out of the store, not even daring looking back.

Later in the evening, I walked into a bike shop in my hood, run by some honest French guy, who once pumped my tires for free. I like this shop, because it is full of gadgets for serious bikers. I don’t even know how to explain their functionalities.

Shop keeper: It looks pretty bad, but we will get it fixed.
Ana felt so relieved.
Shop keeper: Are you riding around Paris with no Helmet? That is not a good idea.
Ana: It is okay, I go slow.
Shop keeper: You go slow, but the buses and motorcycles don’t.
Ana: You are right.
Shop keeper: I have some simple stuff, if you want to try while waiting for your bike
Ana: ok, yeah I guess!

Next thing I knew, I was trying on this Pink Helmet for professional races, it costs 130 euros! My entire bike doesn’t even cost that much. But I have to say it looked really good on me and felt even better.

“I will think about it, thank you for fixing the bike…”

I managed to leave the shop without the helmet, but the whole night I have been longing for this Pink Helmet. Should I have trusted the Neapolitan? What is the catch with the French? Now I am lying in bed going through all potential reasons to justify this purchase… Helmet? Not?