Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Upper East Side - New York City I

3rd day in the city, I am already eating my fifth bagel. Served by some Joshua with one of those little black hats, this sesame seeds bagel must be the most authentic one. It has been almost four years since I last came to New York City, this time I am staying with friends on the upper east side, not exactly the Woody Allen Park Ave upper east side, but 84th street and 2nd avenue upper east side. The upper east side where you find a manicure and spa place on every single block, which makes you thinking that women in NYC must have beautiful nails, check it out next time you are in NYC. This is the upper east side which is dominated by Jewish people, all meat you can find is koshered and all bread you can find is hollow. Taxis stop as soon as you raise your hand, people talk very loudly on their cell phones and you never have to worry that pastas are overcooked. I tend to believe that those Italians stay in Brooklyn or Bronx, but they made sure that people on the upper east side learned cook pasta correctly, how responsible people they are! Africains, either security guys at shoe stores or shop keeper in grocery places just love me, because I speak French to them. I tried to enjoy the sunny afternoons at central park and eventually cross over to the upper west side, supposedly the more happening part of up-down, however after a few twists and turns, I came out of the park, still on the east side, just 10 blocks towards downtown.

I might just have to stay on the upper east side all week!