Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Arsenal vs. Juventus

Despite the smoke and beer drinking crowds, I actually enjoy football games, I believe it is one of the rare sports which is worth watching even from TV. Tonight is the second game of Arsenal vs. Juventus. If I am writing an episode of Sex and City, this looks like a tactic for urban ladies to meet guys in a highly male concentrated area – sports bars. Main character would put on some sexy dress and some beautiful Prada shoes, after crossing the bridge (ponts des arts) in the spring rain, she enters this crowded bar called Metz at Odeon, wetted hair. She made eye contacts with …..There, at least 100 Italian men, supporters for Juventus, to choose from, and another 100 – 150, English, French and other mixed nationalities. By the end of the game, she should find the love of her life.

Well, my story isn’t quiet the same. I was invited for the first game last week by a close friend from Torrino, my football buddy, they lost to Arsenal 0 : 2. As an impartial football appreciator, I really thought it was a good game, for Arsenal, yet I could not quiet cheer for them as my friend was sipping on a huge cup of beer looking all sad. Arsenal will win again tonight, so I might end up eating pizza again? (I secretly don’t like Pizza) Yet for Italians pizzas are really cures for all problems in life. Should I make up some lame excuses: dentist appointment? yoga class? Birthday party (the one I did not go to yesterday)? And then watch the game in a different place? Or hoping that Juventus wins and we get to eat sushi instead?