Thursday, April 06, 2006

midnight riding

For early April, skirts might not be the best choice, especially on a speedy bike. Yet the bright sunshine came through my bedroom window in the morning called for it, so here I was riding across town after midnight in my mini-skirt. It must have been –1 degrees, I could see my breath, almost, freezing my guts out. The only solution to that is peddling as fast I could, ignoring all one way streets signs and “do not enter” signs. The next thing I knew, I was surrounded by fences, no way out. Unfortunately, the street lamps lit up me and my little skirt. Two fully armed policemen walked towards me, I suddenly realised that I was at the side door of Elysée looking like I was trying to enter the garden and attack the President of the Republic. Oh no, just let me go through, Mr. Policemen! I will never do it again. Otherwise, I have to back up 2 kilometres (actually more like 500 meters).

Those two kindest policemen showed me what “non-negotiable” meant, finally, found my way out of the blocked fences, the temperature dropped at least another 5 degrees. As I peddled away like lightening through the sidewalk in front of Hotel de Crillon, I almost hit a door man…

This morning I feel like I gained 3 kilos of muscles in my legs. Yet well protected by some safe jeans.